Re: [OM] Here you have, ;o)

Subject: Re: [OM] Here you have, ;o)
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:36:58 -0800
John Pendley wrote:

> Sorry!  The confounded thing comes from someone in your address list.  I
> make it a practice not to open attachments, but it just so happened that it
> masqueraded as a message from a personal friend who regularly sends me
> attachments and whom I trust absolutely.  So I opened it.  Mea Culpa.  Now
> that the damage is done, we need to find out how to reverse it.  (BTW, I got
> it from the friend *and* from a list member; of course, neither was from the
> source it pretended to be.)
> John

John ... that's the point!  The virus was from a friend!  But sent without
the friend's knowledge ... just as you in turn sent it to the entire list.

Many (maybe most) virii are propagated in this manner ... once they are
in your computer they send themselves to every address in your address
book.

Never click on an executable file received from your most trusted friend!
Not even your sainted mother!  If it sits in your inbox without being
opened it will NOT infect you.  Let it sit there until you verify with
the "trusted source" that they indeed did send it to you and that it
does NOT contain a virus.

JPG, GIF, and TXT can NOT contain a virus!  Guaranteed!  But many virii
pretend to be jpg, gif, or txt files ... just as the Anna virus did.
They will have a "safe" three letter combination near the end of the
file name ... hoping to lure you into carelessness ... but it is the
final three letters that are important.  The VBS final three in Anna
tell us that it is a visual basic program ... and capable of doing
terrible damage to your computer ... like erasing all of you data
files on your hard drive and sending itself to your friends.

  -Nick