Re: Re: [OM] Update: Resetting an OM-PC... WOO HOO!!! SUCCESS!!!

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Update: Resetting an OM-PC... WOO HOO!!! SUCCESS!!!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:47:23 +0000
At 18:58 2/12/01, Chris wrote:
At the risk of starting 'nuther thread by the aviators 'monst us, I thought
the 5 G's was the speed at which it hurled toward the desk, and that once
it reached said point it was going at 0 G's.  On the other hand, they
create weightlessness when training future astronauts by causing the plane
to drop suddenly, so maybe it was going at 0 G's until it hit the desk???

I dunno...  but it sure DID work!  :-)))

Chris,
It wasn't the arc of motion, it was the sudden stop at the end! I dare say, since I've been on the periphery of drop testing, that it was a little more than 5g's of deceleration at the end of travel. If you have a very hard desktop (e.g. finished hardwood) it would be at least an order of magnitude more than 5g's. It's quite a force you exerted on that camera body and _why_ I advise _never_ dropping a camera or lens to a hard surface. The forces on impact are enormous. The energy dissipation occurs in an infinitessimally short length of time.

-- John