Re: Re: [OM] Update: Resetting an OM-PC... WOO HOO!!! SUCCESS!!!

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Update: Resetting an OM-PC... WOO HOO!!! SUCCESS!!!
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:15:48 -0500
Hey Chris,

Now you're on the right track. One "G" is the gravitational acceleration
that the Earth is exerting on you right now.  It's a measure of
acceleration, not speed (velocity).  So your OM-PC experience a mild,
positive G force (acceleration) when you propeled it into motion, reached a
stable velocity (0 Gs in the direction of travel), then experienced a sudden
and dramatic negative acceleration when the desk slowed it down.
(Naturally, the Earth was constantly exerting its 1G throughout but I assume
it was in a different direction.)

As the expression goes, "It wasn't the *fall* from the 13th floor that
killed Charlie, it was the sudden *deceleration* at the pavement."

Chris said,
At the risk of starting 'nuther thread by the aviators 'monst us, I thought
the 5 G's was the speed at which it hurled toward the desk, and that once
it reached said point it was going at 0 G's.  On the other hand, they
create weightlessness when training future astronauts by causing the plane
to drop suddenly, so maybe it was going at 0 G's until it hit the desk???

Lama