Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Level (was 120 teaches 35mm)

Subject: Re: [OM] Hot Shoe Level (was 120 teaches 35mm)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:27:46 +0000
At 09:18 2/11/01, Larry wrote:
            I recently bought a device from Velbon that they call a "Quick
Leveler". The Quick leveler mounts between the tripod head and camera. The
advantage of the Quick leveler is that you don't level the tripod as long as
you are within 15 degrees. The Quick leveler has a ball head with limited range
(15 degrees) and has the bubble level on the camera mount. The cost was $27.

Regards,
Larry

Bogen (Manfrotto) also makes a device that goes between the tripod and tripod pan head. I believe it costs a bit more than the Velbon you mention. If memory serves me correctly there are three jackscrews for leveling plus a spirit level. It was developed for panoramic use and is designed for leveling of a tripod pan head so you can rotate it without having to level it again. From the photos I saw, it looks like a pretty hefty device (made to support some weight).

-- John