Re: [OM] 120 teaches 35mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 120 teaches 35mm
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:58:16 -0600
From: WKato@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 2/8/01 8:03:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

> Early on I found myself taking more time and thinking more about exactly
> what was desired for the image. It has changed the approach to much of my > 35mm work . . . taking greater care with each shot . . . but it is easy to > back-slide into a "shotgun method" for getting good images (or trying to)
>  when I pick up the 35mm SLR.

I found something similar. I was not quite happy with my 35mm Olympus shots
and bought a complete Pentax 645 set up. This forced me to be more
contemplative and to use better technique because my expectations were
higher. To come full circle, the contemplative approach and better technique work to make 35mm much better as well. I have stopped using my zooms and use
only primes now for most of my work.

I've found that just forcing oneself to use a tripod/monopod for every shot (except the obvious non-tripod situations - most flash photos, street photography, etc.) automatically pushes one into that contemplative, perfectionistic approach. If one goes to all the trouble of setting up a support, one tends to take the time to ensure the trouble is worth it. ;-)