Re: [OM] 120 teaches 35mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 120 teaches 35mm
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:01:27 +0000
At 08:09 2/9/01, C.H. Ling wrote:
. . . I have tried to set up a tripod shot with my 16mm fisheye (below photo), it took over two minutes and my eye got very tire, but the shutter speed was too slow for hand held.

http://www.glink.net.hk/~gallery/t16-02.jpg

C.H.Ling

Using a super-wide on a tripod can be difficult . . . hand held for that matter too . . . it can be worse with a fisheye. The lateral compression (expansion of depth) makes objects rather small in the viewfinder. It is _very_ easy to end up with a non-level horizon, particularly in urban, water or other settings with dead level horizons or strong vertical lines.

I don't know if you are using a level, on the tripod head or on the camera. If not, try using one. If your tripod head doesn't have one or if it won't show level when you flip vertical, you can get one for the hot shoe that will provide a level horizontal and vertical directions. My tripod head has a set of levels built in. Didn't think they would be as useful as they have turned out to be! I've learned to trust them more than what I sometimes see in the viewfinder.

-- John