Re: [OM] T2 Ring ?

Subject: Re: [OM] T2 Ring ?
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Feb 2001 11:09:28 +1000
rudy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ruediger Betzold) moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> Just wondering what is a T2 ring / adapter ?
> seller claims it is for astrophoto and other usage, but in
> 'The Unofficial Olympus Sales Information File'
> side there is no such thing ?

T2 is an enhancement of the "T-mount" system which was an attempt at a
universal screw-mount system.

T-mount has the same diameter (42mm) as the M42 (aka Pentax Screw)
mount, but a different thread pitch (T mount is 42x0.75mm, M42 is
42x1mm).  T-mount lenses also sit much further from the film than any
other kind of lens (including M42), allowing plenty of room for a fat
adaptor.

T2 is a modification of T-mount which allowed some limited aperture
coupling.

You could indeed use a T2 ring (an ring about 10mm deep with a male OM
coupling on one end and a female screw thread on the other) to connect
to a "T adapter" mounted on a telescope.   An ordinary T-ring would be
cheaper and easier to find.

More info here:
        http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/bronmounts.html

Sometimes you will find an old lens in a pawnshop which has a mount
for some weirdo BogoFlex camera, but sometimes the mount unscrews
leaving a T-mount thread.  These lenses are often on sale for $10
because nobody knows what to do with them.  If you have a T-mount
ring, you'll know what to do with it!

--cjb

p.s. I'm getting a vast sense of deja vu here.  Did somebody ask this
same question recently?