Re: [OM] 300mf4ish lens om or ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mf4ish lens om or ?
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:23:19 EST
Try to locate a 300/4.5; it is very useable also with the 1.4X. At 400, try
the Sigma or Tokina 400/5.6.  I compared the Sigma (non-APO model) to the
Zuiko 300 X 1.4X and the Sigma was sharper and contrastier wide open at 5.6.
By f8 they were both the same. Gary Schloss used to rave over his Tokina
400/5.6 SD. Any of these lens should run you less than $300. Also worthy of
consideration is a Novoflex 400/5.6, which I found for $200 with some fungus
between the elements. I lent a Vivitar 400/5.6 to my cousin to see the Baja
eclipse many years ago and haven't seen it since. I don't really regret not
seeing it as it was kinda soft all over. The Vivitar 400/5.6 TX lens was
better than the regular lens but is rare. Also you might consider a Tokina
300/5.6.  It is just as sharp as the Zuiko at f8 and takes 62mm filters. This
would probably go for $100 or so. A rare one would be the Tamron 350/5.6
mirror lens. This is a fine backpacking lens that's only about 3 inches long.
Stay away from any long zooms as you will probably be disappointed.

Warren