RE: [OM] Vivitar 283 with Olympus Studio [going OT]

Subject: RE: [OM] Vivitar 283 with Olympus Studio [going OT]
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:39:04 -0500
Kelton,
If you are going to do a lot of flash photography like that and want to use
283's, or 285's, get a couple of SB-4 cords.  They will allow you to use AC
power, save batteries and also get faster recycling.
James McBride states he has a couple of 285's he will sell.  Those might be
a better buy for you since the VM is built into the 285.

Another good flash to look at is the Sunpak 422, 444, 30DX, 36Dx.  These
units also have variable output like the 285 and it is built into the units.

If you want to get a little more serious, try some AC slaves, cost ~$35-40
on eBay.  Will work well to.

For a slave for the Vivitars or Sunpak units, I really like the Wein slaves.
The Vivitar SL-2 will work well too and has the advantage of a PC as well as
hot shoe connection.  You can also get a two or three-way adapter to just
trigger from the camera PC socket to the cords of the flash.  The cost ~$10
for the 3-way, but you also have to get longer cords.

Diffuse the flash as much as possible.  I use a Sunpak 422 with the portable
bounce kit, looks like a little umbrella.  Works very well to soften the
light.  Sto-fen or Lumiquest make good diffusers also.  Or you can simply
make your own from plastic milk jugs.  Actually,, placing a 283 into a milk
jug should give great diffused light for the dolls!

Brian P. Huber

 I'm