Re: [OM] Vivitar 283 with Olympus Studio [going OT]

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 283 with Olympus Studio [going OT]
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:59:04 -0800
At 12:54 PM 2/6/01 -0800, you wrote:
). I'm looking at
>purchasing a used 283 at a local store, but with fresh batteries and from
>a cold start, it takes 9 seconds to light the orange flash ready light
>(and 14 seconds to get to the "flash ready beep.") My existing 273 gets
>to the orange flash ready light in only 7 seconds (no flash ready beep on
>the 273).  Is this 283 failing? Do you know what normal warm up times are
>for the 283? (If this is too OT, email me at krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, but I'll
>be watching the list, too. I'd also love a recommendation for a slave
>trigger for the 283, so that I can trigger both flashes simultaneously,
>even though both are in separate light boxes.) Thanks in advance, Kelton

Hi Kelton,

Just pulled my trusty 283 out and with fresh batteries the 0 to start and
flash ready times are identical to what you are finding. The only time the
283 has been really fast is when using the auto settings - full dump in
manual mode eats up like crazy. Good flash though!

I have an old Metz (I think) PS-100 remote that continues to work like a
charm. Unfortunately I'm not sure if they are still available or not.

With the tabletop type shots I've found that my old Minolta Autometer 111F
(which has a flash setting) has been a lifesaver. Readings are dead
accurate and with experimentation I've found that it nails the image to a
tee especially when you are using that nice diffuse light.

Hope this helps.
Barry H