[OM] Vivitar 283 with Olympus Studio [going OT]

Subject: [OM] Vivitar 283 with Olympus Studio [going OT]
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 12:54:03 -0800
Hi, OMers -- I'm building an all-OM powered home table-top studio (well,
a mostly OM-powered studio) around a trusty OM2n and a 50mm f/3.5. The
subject of my photography is, of all things, girl's dolls! (Now before
you start thinking that this psychologist needs extended therapy, I
should tell you that my wife manufactures dolls, and it has fallen to me
to produce the photos that appear on the packaging and in the
promotions.) However, I'm thinking about fitting my 2 light boxes with
two Vivitar 283 strobes (because they're powerful and cheap and have the
VP units that let you dial in the power you want manually for use with a
flash meter--although I'm accepting advice from those who think I should
be using OM flashes, you'll just need to tell me why they're better for
this application. In other words, you'll need to help me justify the
additional expense to my boss . . . er, I mean, my wife). I'm looking at
purchasing a used 283 at a local store, but with fresh batteries and from
a cold start, it takes 9 seconds to light the orange flash ready light
(and 14 seconds to get to the "flash ready beep.") My existing 273 gets
to the orange flash ready light in only 7 seconds (no flash ready beep on
the 273).  Is this 283 failing? Do you know what normal warm up times are
for the 283? (If this is too OT, email me at krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, but I'll
be watching the list, too. I'd also love a recommendation for a slave
trigger for the 283, so that I can trigger both flashes simultaneously,
even though both are in separate light boxes.) Thanks in advance, Kelton