Re: [OM] OT Global warming

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Global warming
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:10:14 -0800
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dirk responds:

> .....So, the CEO's are forced to only see into the next 3 months at
> most. And if he has a
> heart to make the air and water cleaner for his current and future
> relatives
> and lets that profit margin slip, then the stockholders will merely
> boot his
> ass out....

This is a problem with the current system. There really isn't any way
for the true costs of pollution to be fairly factored into the equation.
This is where the regulatory and taxation system should come in to level
the playing field so that industries and companies can compete fairly, a
real problem with the new so-called global economy. For example, we in
the PacNW subsidize hydro power at the expense of a potential billion
dollar fishery and yet say that wind generation is not economical and
can't compete. The World Trade Organization espouses the free
cross-border exchange of goods but not labor. And unfortunately this
might shift money out of the pockets of the friends of the newly
selected administration so i don't see a remedy any time soon. Sorry to
bother you with US specific issues but I know that Canada faces the same
problems (since that's the only news I get) and in Europe the problem is
even more complex with the euro and all so i guess we're all on this
boat together.

mike