Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning solutions

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning solutions
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:31:43 -0700
At 01:57 PM 2/4/2001 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:

[snip]

>Many optometrist will tell you that anything with ammonia in it will strip the
>nonreflective coating right off your eyeglasses and they advise against
>Windex.  I realize that an OM lens is not a pair of eyeglasses, but...

Interesting.  I've noticed no ill effects on my 100/2.0 or 28/2.0, but I don't
use Windex as an "everyday" cleaner (methanol is my preferred cleaner).  Each
of these lenses required the "heavy-duty" treatment precisely once.  The
filters I used Windex on were a mix of coated and uncoated, and I detected no
issues there, either (in fact, I started with the filters because of just such
concerns -- better to screw up a $20.00 piece of glass than a $900.00 one...).

I suppose it's possible, though.  Long ago, as a summer job I did for several
summers in a row, I was a janitor.  We used to use ammonia-based cleaners as a
stripping agent for "metal-interlocked" floor finishes (the product name
"Hefty" comes to mind).  Worked like a charm.

For anyone who's scared of Windex or other ammonia-based cleaners, I'd
recommend sticking to methanol/isopropanol.  If it's a sticky sugar-based
problem, clean warm water ought to suffice.

Garth