Re: [OM] A bit OT - Trip to the US

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit OT - Trip to the US
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:21:18 -0500
I would think twice about traveling to Yellowstone this time of year. I have been stranded there in August because of snow. It wasn't that thick, but the roads are officially closed and you will be arrested for driving on them.

This is true of all the roads in Wyoming. When a storm is coming, they even close the interstates and travelers are stuck in town. If there is no lodging left in the motels, then the Red Cross opens shelters, usually in a local National Guard Armory.

This may seem like an extreme measure, but I was once stranded while going out to my mailbox, and I had chains on my car. Fortunatly, I could walk back to my house and dig out after the storm left. When the wind picks up across that open ground, it is impossible to see or tell which way to go. The drifts form quickly and deep. Individuals have been killed by snow blown up their exhaust pipe while they wait out a storm in their vehicles. On the other hand, there is no more beautiful place to be than the day after the storm lifts, and everything is covered in white with the deep blue sky.

Gregg

Chris wrote:
Paul

We did many stops in an RV between Phoenix and Yellowstone in 1990. We went from National Park to National Park and it was wonderful. But you need time to appreciate each stop so don't try to fit too much in. And the light at each end of the day is the best time, of course, so you should give yourself a chance to see that.

I agree with Joel about Las Vegas - it's a spectacle. Los Angeles is not a place to visit quickly (if at all). San Diego is lovely. The Parks are the best though... and they had wonderful people to talk to you about the contents.