Re: [OM] Film scanner choice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner choice?
From: "k.matsumoto" <GHA02260@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:20:45 +0900
> If you have experience with either of these two scanners I'd really
> appreciate your comments:  Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II and Dimage
> Scan Elite.

Hi Nick, I have the Dimage Scan Dual II and am mostly satisfied with
it, but this is my first film scanner and I never used other ones.
I choosed this one because its interface is USB; two of my friends
had much trouble with Canon SCSI scanners.

The USB I/F is great and you don't have to worry about data transfer
speed because the scanning is much slower then sending the data.  I
recommend to place the scanner where you can easily unplug and
replug the USB cable at the back side in case the computer fails to
recognize it.  I often turn it on after the PC is booted up.

Only I wish if it had a feature to blow the dust away from the film
immediately before it's scanned.  Since I bought the scanner I'm
busy with cleaning (retouching) images everyday.

> I've been told that Ed Hamrick's VueScan is the best scanner software
> presently available ... any comments?

I think VueScan is better than the original Minolta scanning
program, but I use the latter because my ancient Pentium 200MHz PC
(and my Japanese brain) is too weak to use VueScan (with its English
menus).  The latest Minolta program still needs some modifications.
The color is OK but I can't manage to preset the right brightness
yet.

kazuya matsumoto