Re: [OM] [OT] A question about Ilford chemicals

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A question about Ilford chemicals
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:26:30 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Garth Wood wrote:

> "Do NOT store at temperatures below 4 degrees Celsius."
>
> ** HEAVY SIGH **
>
> Okay, so, have i just hooped myself here?

I suspect that this is about crystallisation.  Developer concentrates
are very, er, concentrated so if you cool them down they might
crystallise out, and will take a long time to redissolve once they've
warmed up again.  If you were to take a bottle of concentrate straight
out of cold storage and make up some of it to working strength, it would
all go horribly wrong because some of the chemicals would still be
crystals in the bottom of the bottle, hence the developer would be too
weak or worse, have the wrong composition (some of the components will
crystallise out faster than others).

> I gave each bottle a
> tentative shake, and they all still appear to be liquid.

If you intend to make up the entire contents of the bottle, empty it out
and check for crystals.  If there are any, use the water you make up
your developer with to wash them out, and make sure they all redisolve
in your working strength solution before using it.  If they won't
dissolve, chuck it.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |