Re: [OM] [OT] A question about Ilford chemicals

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] A question about Ilford chemicals
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:29:24 +0000 (UTC)
Hello, Fluffy Bunny Head ;)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Garth Wood wrote:

> Ahem.
>
> **AHEM**.
>
> Well, I'm a fluffy bunny head.
>
> I went and purchased some Ilford B&W chemicals to do some in-home
> processing, and, as I didn't have an immediate use for them, went and
> stored them in my basement.
>
> In my unheated "cold hole."
>
> Which is (in the winter) quite often below 4 degrees Celsius (but above
> zero, that is, freezing).
>

> Upon removing them yesterday to gear up for a session of B&W
> developing, I noted the following on the front of each bottle:
>
> "Do NOT store at temperatures below 4 degrees Celsius."
>
> ** HEAVY SIGH **
>

> Okay, so, have i just hooped myself here?  I gave each bottle a
> tentative shake, and they all still appear to be liquid.  Anyone know
> what the warning is about, and should I just dispose of the chemicals at
> the nearest environmental disposal location here in Edmonton and buy new
> bottles?  (As is typical of such cryptic warnings, no further
> information is given on the label about why storage at low temps is bad,
> and I'm unable to locate further info on Ilford's own website or in
> their product spec sheets.)

First off, I wouldn't develop anything important (especially not film, if
it is film developer?) without careful testing first. Not that I know of
what could happen, but being chicken-ish, I'd rather not take chances.

Second, I would try to get a hold of Ilford and ask. Ilford in Denmark
have been quite friendly in responding to my inqueries - I am sure that
the local Ilford representative (to Edmonton? Well...but there must be one
around somewhere) will be responsive, if you ask ;)

Thirdly - and bear in mind that I am not a chemical engineer, so I am no
authority here - I don't believe that your chemicals have been damaged. I
would guess that as long as the temperature is above 0C, then they should
be relatively unharmed.

--thomas