[OM] [OT] A question about Ilford chemicals

Subject: [OM] [OT] A question about Ilford chemicals
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:16:43 -0700
Ahem.

**AHEM**.

Well, I'm a fluffy bunny head.

I went and purchased some Ilford B&W chemicals to do some in-home processing,
and, as I didn't have an immediate use for them, went and stored them in my
basement.

In my unheated "cold hole."

Which is (in the winter) quite often below 4 degrees Celsius (but above zero,
that is, freezing).

Upon removing them yesterday to gear up for a session of B&W developing, I
noted the following on the front of each bottle:

"Do NOT store at temperatures below 4 degrees Celsius."

** HEAVY SIGH **

Okay, so, have i just hooped myself here?  I gave each bottle a tentative
shake, and they all still appear to be liquid.  Anyone know what the warning is
about, and should I just dispose of the chemicals at the nearest environmental
disposal location here in Edmonton and buy new bottles?  (As is typical of such
cryptic warnings, no further information is given on the label about why
storage at low temps is bad, and I'm unable to locate further info on Ilford's
own website or in their product spec sheets.)

Thanks in advance, folks.

Garth ("Fluffy Bunny Head") Wood

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
 A: Winter."