Re: [OM] M.15V Ni-Cd Charger

Subject: Re: [OM] M.15V Ni-Cd Charger
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:17:04 +0100
Hi Mike.

Both views are right...
The chargers give about 30 volts with open output (no battery
connected) but the voltage will drop to the actual battery voltage at
the moment they are connected. This is 12-13 volt or less for
completely empty batteries, and will increase to about 17 volts during
the charge process.

BTW the Olympus chargers do not have any kind of regulation built in.
They consist of a transformer, a 4-diode rectifier and a capacitor
only....

When I am at home I always use a good regulated charger instead. I
have cut the cable of an Olympus charger in two, and attached RCA
plugs to both ends of the cables (male and female). The cable with the
battery connector on its other end can now be connected to the
regulated charger which has an RCA jack, but also to the original one
if I want to travel.

And yes, I have opened T-45 batteries and replaced the cells several
times now. Opening the pack is the most difficult part of the job: you
will have to cut it open because both halves are glued or welded
together. Replacing the cells is not difficult at all when you know
how to handle the solder gun. Be sure to purchase cells with solder
tabs!
I also apply glue when reattaching the half shells after replacing the
cells - but only small quantities of it, and the 'general purpose'
glue I use can be cut easily in the future, when needed.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.