Re: [OM] [OT] Ergot - was Rangefinder cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Ergot - was Rangefinder cameras
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:52:34 -0500
Did you happen to know the name of the person who died? I knew a man in 1970 who is supposed to have died from the disease. He was a vegetarian, in fact he ran a vegetarian cafeteria.

There is thought to be a related disease called wasting disease that is currently found in deer and elk in the Rocky Mt. region of the US. there is fear it will spread because some of the animal's carcasses end up in animal feed, and of course, they are eaten by hunters as well.

Gregg

Andrew wrote:

>And there was the life-long vegetarian in the UK who got it ... they're
>guessing it came from the "bone" meal applied his veggies.

Both my sons went through vegetarian stages and, being studious types, did
the research. I was astonished by the ubiquity of animal derived substances.