Re: [OM] [OT] Ergot - was Rangefinder cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Ergot - was Rangefinder cameras
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:32:17 +1100
>By the way, ergot is rye blight, not wheat blight.  Ergotamine is also
>used to
>treat migraine headaches.  It works OK, but it is bound with waaay too much
>caffeine for me to be able to take it and function.

Rye, of course. Whoops!

>Crutzfeld-Jacob Disease [CJD], likely.   "Mad cow" in people.  "Scrapie" in
>sheep.  Pigs aren't allowed to live long enough to show signs of having the
>problem, if they do have it.  And how about farmed fish?

In Aus. they stopped feeding meat meal to cattle after 100.000 cattle died
of botulin poisoning in Queensland in the late '80's I think. Lucky escape
for us, perhaps. We also had major marine fish kills (pilchards with gill
diseases) blamed on imports of feed fish stock for aquaculture.
Traditionally, pigs eat ANYTHING so it's hard to believe it isn't in the
population somewhere, even given the rigorous hygiene controls on pig
farming these days.

>By the way, did you know that there has been shown cow to calf transmission?
>The researchers believe the prions show up in the milk.

I got worried by an article in the 'New Scientist' in the early '90's about
a cat contracting BSE by ingestion - the first proved case of 'predatory
contagion' I think. I cannot understand why the alarms didn't go off at
that point - perhaps it was seen as 'too difficult' by the governments of
the day.

>And there was the life-long vegetarian in the UK who got it ... they're
>guessing it came from the "bone" meal applied his veggies.

Both my sons went through vegetarian stages and, being studious types, did
the research. I was astonished by the ubiquity of animal derived substances.
Andrew