RE: [OM] Sniping (Was: Vivitar 12/20 NC-3 Battery Charger 283 285 (eBay

Subject: RE: [OM] Sniping (Was: Vivitar 12/20 NC-3 Battery Charger 283 285 (eBay #1207380641)
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:25:28 -0600
'Sniping' is just about the only  way I will bid on ebay if I am really
trying to win an item. It imposes a certain discipline on me - I decide what
the most I would be happy to pay is, and load the snipe engine with  that
number. If I don't get it, I don't have time to lose my head in a bidding
frenzy.

I also like it because I'm not too keen on some other bozo suddenly deciding
an item is now worth $X + $5 just because I happen to think it's worth at
least $X. Making my real bid a snipe eliminates that  danger.

The only person sniping really may be 'unfair' to is potentially the seller,
because it reduces the liklehood of that irrational bidding war. If you get
beaten out by a snipe, and think you would have paid more 'if only you had
known', well next time maybe you'll think harder about your best price.

I can see where others might like the 'Onsale.com' model better, but I
suspect that scheme would inhibit me from bidding at all on some items. It
might be better for  sellers, though.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx