Re: [OM] I came clean....and feel better for it.

Subject: Re: [OM] I came clean....and feel better for it.
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:54:26 -0800 (PST)
At 19:56 1/21/01, Gary Reese wrote:
>When I said it was a $600 lens I got this strange
round of laughter,
>like it was too hard for anyone to believe. But to me
it was utter
>reality. That is a moment when one will feel like a
Zuikoholic!

You wouldn't believe the reactions I get about the
cost of my bicycles!  My bicycle seat post costs more
than the average bicycle.  Custom wheels.  Titanium
componants (unfortunately, all hidden from view).
Derailers, alone, cost hundreds of dollars.  How about
them carbon-fiber spokes on the racer?  They'll slice
your hands like a knife, but they make for a wickedly
fast bike.  On the flats, when I'm in good shape, I
can hit 45mph, close to 60 downhill.  Can't do that
for long, though--before I'm tasting lung.

Looking to scale back my personal mass this year (shed
about 40 pounds) and doing some time-trialing.

Common reaction of the lamebrains:  "Stupid to spend
more than $150 on a bike.  For $3000 it should peddle
itself."  My reaction, is that considering the health
benefits, it is one of the best $3000 I can spend.

Same thing with camera equipment:  Which is cheaper:
Zuikos or psychiatric sessions?

Ken (waiting impatiently for spring) N.

p.s. All my major bike purchases were BM (before
marriage) and BK (before kids).