Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Boobs - was Lessons using a Zuiko 500mm reflex

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Boobs - was Lessons using a Zuiko 500mm reflex
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:51:09 -0600
Andrew Fildes wrote:

> Better to rename the bird entirely - ***s is a common use term in English
> speaking nations that don't have this cream-thieving passerine and could
> cause misunderstandings. Obviously not a PC beastie at all. We could call
> it a Blue Breast in line with giving things their correct names rather than
> euphemistic slang terms (and hope to gawd that there isn't a bird out there
> called a Lesser Spotted Todger!)  The Booby thus becomes the becomes the
> Blue-footed Mammary Appendage, the Frigate Bird becomes unmentionable and
> as the Cockatoo is known here as a Cocky, I think I'm in deep excrement
> with this theory.
> Andrew
> (feeling like a bit of a Galah)

You are right!  To be correct common birdnames must be examined to
remove all the non-PC, sexist and suggestive ones.

In North America that would include, but not be limited to, the Wrentit
and Bushtit the Bridled, Oak, Juniper, and Tufted Titmouse, the Red,
Brown, Blue-footed, and Masked Boobies, the Red and White-breasted
Nuthatches, Red-breasted Merganser, Whip-poor-Will, Sapsucker (several
species), Greater, Eastern, Western, and Cuban Peewees, Clark's
Nutcracker, Brown Creeper, Yellow, Gray, White, and Black-backed
Wagtails, Yellow-breasted Chat, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Dickcissel,
Spot-breasted and Black-vented Orioles, etc.

I'm surprised this cesspool of lewed, non-correct and sexist names
hasn't attracted attention before! The Nutcracker, since it suggests
revenge of the downtrodden female over the overbearing male, might be
considered PC, however the other's have to go!

Jerry Liles