[OM] Why Not?

Subject: [OM] Why Not?
From: mikew <mikew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:21:10 -0600
I would really love to be able to scan and manipulate negatives and slides
(all made with Olympus cameras and lenses, of course).  The two things that
hold me back are money and time.  From the reading I've done on the internet
and the many posts here in the past talking about film scanners and
software, I know I wouldn't be satisified with the less expensive film
scanners.  I would also be looking at the expense of probable PC upgrades as
I don't have USB on my 2-year old homebrew Win95 (AMD, FIC PA-1013
motherboard) PC.  I've thought about the various "get your photos on CD"
options, but I'm not ready to go there.  It's clear that with the CDs,
you're at the mercy of either automated machinery or the person running the
machinery (who may or may not be competent, diligent, or having a bad hair
day).  I've thought of an alternative I've never seen mentioned anywhere.  I
assume that's because it's either not feasible or subject to the same
problems as the lab putting photos on CDs.  Just in case this is a new idea
and is actually worth something, let me say that I reserve all rights to
this idea (for the little that that statement is probably really worth).
Okay, here it is:  Why can't the negatives be copied to CDs?  My
(simplistic, no doubt) thought is that with using a negative, you don't get
into all of the subjective aspects of using a negative to generate the print
on the CD.  Just copy it out there with no adjustments.  Maybe allowances
would have to be made for variations in negative density, but other than
that, just put it on the CD as is.  Now I don't need a fancy schmancy
(shmancy?) film scanner. I can take the pristine negative image into my
favorite image program and go from there.  That doesn't address the time
problem I would have, but if the money problem isn't there, I bet I could
find the time one way or another.  Okay, what am I missing here?

Mike Williamson