Re: [OM] Lycos' Legality of Thumbnail Collections

Subject: Re: [OM] Lycos' Legality of Thumbnail Collections
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:38:57 GMT
Chris O'Neill wrote:

>2.  The point of the discussion, though, wasn't the taking of thumbnails
>but, rather, of displaying the actual images "stripped" of any copyright
>notice contained on the original pages!

In which case my suggestion of incorporating copyright info into the image
area at least means the source image can be identified as being yours. Phil
Greenspun of photo.net does this nicely, using a black border around his images.

>3.  I wouldn't have many concerns if the links to which the thumbnails
>point are the original pages on the owner's site.  That way, the person
>navigating via the thumbnails would see the copyright notices, if any.

But doesn't it just link to the image file? I forget.

In this age of pirated software, home-copied CDs and other activities of
such nature, it is no suprise that misappropriation of another's images
occurs and that the likes of Lycos want to help us do it. It boils down to
whether you're bothered about it. I don't mind if someone likes a photo of
mine enough to keep a copy of the compressed 500x300pixel jpeg on their hard
drive. Why should I? What I mind is them displaying it (whether in digital
or print form) and claiming authorship or not declaring the authorship and
thereby failing to credit me with creating it (not that I can see many
people bothering to do that with my pics, but it's the principle).

It's like the old argument about getting a credit in print rags - if you
have an image good enough to be published (and thereby promoting the
publication) then you deserve to be publicly credited with its creation.

Simon E.