Re: [OM] Film to flange distance in various OM bodies

Subject: Re: [OM] Film to flange distance in various OM bodies
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:21:56 -0600
C.H.Ling wrote:

> My be the OM1 does not have a variable resistor for meter adjust, but
> it adjust the meter mechanically by rotating of the galvanometer, does
> it make the adjustment more accurate?

Not necessarily more accurate, but probably more reliable -- the
coupling mechanism won't wear or change to any appreciable degree, nor
will the resistors used to compensate the meter, so it will function
accurately until something breaks (or you can't get the proper battery!
;^)  In my experience, if there's a variable resistor, it's there
because you'll need to change it!  If it's not there, you won't need
it!  And input VR's (like on the OM-2s ASA dial) are notorious for
becoming unreliable.  For my money, simpler is better.