[OM] Re: bokeh

Subject: [OM] Re: bokeh
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:16:52
Okay, lemme see if I grok astigmatism correctly...

My CPC lens (and Canonet G-III QL17) exhibit what I call "cross-eyed" bokeh. Rather than softly merging indistinct lines, there is a pattern of doubled off-center and slightly overlapping patterns. For example, out-of-focus leaves and specular highlights which produce the familiar iris-shaped pattern in most lenses will produce two or more overlapping but off-center iris-shaped patterns in my CPC lens.

That may be an indication of astigmatism, yes?

So if this is due to a flawed element rotating around another element during focusing (or vice versa) then I should be able to see a pattern demonstrating a change in the overlapping as focusing changes.

IOW, if the overlapping iris-shaped artifact is at 3-o'-clock at a particular distance, by turning the focus ring this overlapping artifact may shift to, say, 7-o'-clock. Have I grasped this correctly? Hope so, because the concept of astigmatism has always eluded me, both in camera lenses and my own eyeballs.

And its effect on critical focusing would explain something I've noted in this CPC lens, that certain subjects have resulted in satisfactorily sharp images while others have been disappointing. It may be due to whether I've used the split-image or matte portion of the focusing screen.

Lex
===

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:11:14 +0000
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>

...It's my educated guess your lens has astigmatism. The best way to describe it is lines along one axis having a different focus point than lines along a different axis such as horizontal versus vertical. If memory serves me correctly, a lens with a cylindrical component in its shape will exhibit astigmatism. If you were to take a cross-section from the axis in the center to the edge, and rotate it around the center, the cross-section would change shape. Astigmatism in a camera lens will make it difficult to critically focus, except perhaps by using a split image.