Re: [OM] Re: bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: bokeh
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:23:57 +0000
At 18:30 1/15/01, Lex Jenkins wrote:
Here's a good example of bad bokeh.  I can say that 'cause it's my photo.
;)

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7400079&p=38140898&Sequence=0&res=high

CPC 28mm f/2.8 with six-bladed diaphragm. Macro-focusing, good resolution and little distortion - but *ugly* bokeh. The caption explains it, but to sum up it's the best/worst example of cross-eyed bokeh I've seen.

Here are some others with various lenses:
35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om18.html
50/1.2 Zuiko:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om19.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om20.html
135/2.8 Zuiko:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om48.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om49.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om73.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om74.html
200/4 Zuiko:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om50.html
300/4.5 F.Zuiko:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om51.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/tope04.html
40/2.8 Rollei Sonnar HFT:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/rollei/gallery/rollei12.html
50/1.5 CZ Sonnar
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax09.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax10.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax11.html
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax12.html

Of the 35-105/3.5~4.5, 50/1.2, 135/2.8, 200/4 and 300/4.5 Zuiko's, I consider the 135/2.8 the best with bokeh behind the DOF. Wish I had a scan of one done with the 85/2 because it's excellent also. The 35-105/3.5~4.5 image doesn't show it dramatically, but it's bokeh is pretty good also. The second image for the 300/4.5 shows bokeh in front of the DOF (focus was at infinity). The 50/1.2 does well until you get very bright, distinct, pinpoint specular highlights when it picks up the aperture shape (the octagons are how I know it was this lens). The 40/2.8 Sonnar and 50/1.5 Sonnar both have beautiful bokeh, especially the latter with 13 aperture blades that have curved edges, although it doesn't show of as well in these, which are the only scans I have showing DOF control.

Here's proof you _can_ get DOF control out of _any_ lens, except perhaps the 8/2.8 Fisheye. Did this one for the bokeh TOPE with the 18/3.5 Zuiko rectilinear stacked on a 7mm Auto Extension Tube. Not great composition; did it as an experiment just to see what it would look like. Not the best bokeh either, but not too bad. In fairness to Olympus, I don't think designing this lens for smooth bokeh was uppermost in their minds:
    http://johnlind.tripod.com/tope03.html

-- John