Re: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement

Subject: Re: [OM] Lycos Copyright Infringement
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:05:46 +0000
At 20:18 1/15/01, Hans Van Veluwen wrote:
Neither the thumbnails nor the full size pictures have been copied to and published from one of the Lycos servers - all they're doing is publishing links to them. The pitfall might be that they're only providing links to the images, not to the surrounding html pages that may contain copyright notices...

Not exactly so. The thumbnails are not the sharpness I normally create them in. The full size may be linked to the source site, but the thumbnails are not. They _are_ on a separate server. I copied the source link for a couple of mine from the Lycos page they appeared on:
  http://tn.alltheweb.com/1/thumbnail?cmd=key&param=13611254
  http://tn.alltheweb.com/1/thumbnail?cmd=key&param=13626889

You're right about the "full-size" jpegs. The "full-size" link pulls the jpeg for both of these out of the Olympus Gallery to retrieve them. Other full size jpegs are pulled from my own galleries on Tripod or what used to be Xoom (now NBCi).

However, the thumbnails are on server with "tn.alltheweb.com" for a domain name. This maps to an IP address of "64.41.254.30" and the IP block, "64.41.254" (which contains all addresses 0-255 within the block) belongs to:
   Exodus Communications Inc. SantaClara4 (NETBLK-EC15-1)
   2831 Mission College Blvd.
   Santa Clara, CA 95112
   Netname: EC15-1
   Netblock: 64.41.128.0 - 64.41.255.255