Re: [OM] Please recommend parts cleaner/solvent

Subject: Re: [OM] Please recommend parts cleaner/solvent
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:48:31 -0600
Solvents I've used in the past (though I'm sure there's reasons I
shouldn't have...):
Naptha/lighter fluid (Oh, it burns, burns, burns - that ring of fire!)
Acetone (keep it off _anything_ plastic, be careful w/painted parts)
Alcohol (offhand, I don't recall which)
Freon (back in the dark ages, when you could buy it otc)

Of course, use only in well ventilated areas, watch for sparks and open
flames, etc.

I usually strip the helicoids down to their three basic parts, mark
assembly points and take notes, then clean the separated rings in a bath
of solvent using an old toothbrush.  Change solutions often, filter and
save the old stuff for your next job.

For damaged threads, try rubbing in some fine abrasive automotive paste
wax and working the parts back and forth - it will slowly polish out the
burrs and galls.