[OM] Vinly -> CD VS Digital <- Film

Subject: [OM] Vinly -> CD VS Digital <- Film
From: Clendon Gibson <bsandyman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:55:57 -0800 (PST)
Well Sam, I disagree with your analogy.

The purpose and use of Film is different the purpose
and use of records or cd's (except where they converge
on CD-ROMs).

The same is true of the BETA Vs. VHS battle.

Consider this. Will DVD overtake VHS? No. Why Not?
Because you can't record the superbowl on your DVD
player. So VCR's are ubiquitous and you can still make
a living renting or selling VHS tapes.

In short there is a fundamental and obvious advantage
to VHS over DVD. The same is true of Film. The reverse
is also true. So each medium will be used where it's
strengths suggest.

The second difference is in who is buying the stuff.
When I go to the store and buy a CD, I do so as a pure
consumer. I take it home listen to it a couple of
thousand times, and that's it.

When I, or any of the fellow list members buy film, I
do so as an artist. Right there at the checkout line I
have made an artistic decision. Hmm, I have a lot of
light and fast action, I'll buy some 800.

On this list there is a lot of discusion about which
brand of film, and even which emulsion within a brand
is the best for this purpose or that purpose.

So the presence of film will be market driven, by
people that want that artistic decision.

I agree with what has been said by others here on the
list though, that film prices will go up, and probably
film availability will go down. After all Kodak and
others make there bread and butter off of the casual
shooter. But this is decades off.

Two more additional cents.

Sam Writes ->

 Clendon,

I hate to disillusion you here, but I'm sorry to say
that film will die
in
the same way that records have died to be replaced by
CD's. Any musical
aficionado will confirm that a CD is nowhere as good
as a record (apart
from
when they get worn out - hey am I arguing against
myself here?). This
is
because the sampling rate isn't the same as a
continuous analogue
signal,
and don't produce the same dynamic and tonal range
(presumably to keep
them
cheap), however CDs are less fragile and a whole lot
more convenient.

My own opinion is that film will still be around for a
long time yet,
but
eventually it'll be consigned to the museums.

btw I do still occasionally get my old '70 records out
(..Led Zeppelin,
Jimmy Hendrix etc) to embarrass the kids with. What
fun!

Regards,

Sam