Re: [OM] Shutter Hang on OM-2N

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Hang on OM-2N
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 23:17:29 -0600
> >JUANITA M. ALMEDA wrote: (edited)
> > >
> > > I have what may be a similar problem. On my OM PC, I sometimes encounter
> > > the
> > > shutter hanging (remains open ) after taking a shot with a T series flash
> > > on
> > > it.   The hang is cured by removing the
> > > batteries. As soon as contact is broekn by loosening the battery cover,
> > > the
> > > shutter closes.
> > >

> clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: (edited)
> >Sounds like a severe case of sticky magnet -- at least you should hope
> >so!  That's not too difficult to correct, and doesn't require parts.

> John A. Lind wrote:
>
> I don't have an OM-PC.  Could this also be the classic "batteries at end of
> life" lockup?

I don't think so.  What Juanita is describing is the shutter locking
_open_, as opposed to the shutter locking _up_.  This is a frequent
problem on the PC, where the shutter stays _open_ (draining batteries)
for an extended period, sometimes until the batteries are removed or
they die.  This is a different problem from the shutter (actually the
_mirror_) locking _up_ due to weak/dead batteries, malfunction, or poor
connection to the battery contact or cover, etc.

> This has happened with the OM-4 and T-series flash and under these
> circumstances, unlike with using the self-timer, it can be intermittent.
> Replacing the cells with _good_ new ones has always cured it.

Since a dedicated flash increases battery drain significantly on the
OM-4, 2s, PC, etc., weak or marginal batteries may work fine until the
flash is attached and turned on -- then the camera may intermittantly
lock-up until the flash is removed or turned off.  After a short while
the camera may begin working once more -- until the flash is attached
again.  Replace the batteries w/new ones and everything is fine, even
when using a flash.

> One of the problems with every OM body I've had is the "battery check"
> function.  It really only tells you if there are cells in the camera, not
> if they're up to running everything without a mirror lockup.

There are many reasons why an OM may lock-up, most of which have nothing
to do with battery power.  The battery check can only tell you if
there's enough power to operate a properly functioning camera -- it
cannot tell you if there is an intermittant short during operation, for
example, or if the power switch(es) are making poor contact.  If the
battery check says the batteries are "good" (and you're using the proper
battery type), a malfunction is just that -- a malfunction.