[OM] Helicoid grease (was:50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro)

Subject: [OM] Helicoid grease (was:50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 09:39:26
I'm in the middle of disassembling my first Zuiko, a fungussy 50/1.4 SC that seemed good only as a practice piece. The helicoid grease *definitely* makes the difference in focusing feel and damping. Wiping off the excess grease (and there ain't much) loosens damping considerably.

The threads have remarkably close tolerances and a tiny amount of grease effectively does the entire helicoid. A cleaning and fresh lube would make all the difference.

Different weight greases could be used to tune the focusing for colder or warmer climates, but it would be best to find out which greases are suitable for lenses. I've used certain greases designed for spring piston airguns - they've proven to resist migrating or liquefying. But more suitable stuff may be available from Fargo Enterprises.

The only other factor might be a burr in the threads, entirely possible - I sliced my finger on a tiny burr in this lens. Didn't even notice it for a while, the burr was so tiny and sharp.

Now I just need to fabricate the appropriate key to turn a couple of tricky lockrings - not sure this lens is worth the trouble...
Lex Jenkins

From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:02:45 -0600

A large part, I think most, of the focusing resistance in our lenses has to do with the helicoid grease which is there to give that resistance.