Re: [OM] Helicoid grease (was:50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro)

Subject: Re: [OM] Helicoid grease (was:50/2 macro vs. 90/2 macro)
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:34:36 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Lex Jenkins wrote:

> Also, regarding complete disassembly of the lens, it appears to me that
> keyed wrenches are necessary to remove lockrings retaining optical elements
> just beneath the filter ring and just above the diaphragm.  These lockrings
> either fit snugly or are secured with threadlocker compound.  Can't get 'em
> loose with just a screwdriver.

A proper spanner wrench is definitly a requirement for taking any lens apart
which you intend on keeping.  However, it is possible to remove those rings
with just a screwdriver if you remove all of the glue used to hold them in.
Either butane or methanol should dissolve the glue if you're persistent.
Once the glue is removed, the ring will turn easily.

> 2. Some optical elements are not permanently mounted in metal or plastic
> collars, making careful handling far more important - not only to avoid
> fingerprints that might mar the coating, but I suspect that fungus, mold or
> mildew can be transferred to the elements through touch.  It's probably a
> good idea to wear latex or thin vinyl gloves while handling the optical
> elements.

A small suction cup is extremely useful for removing and inserting elements.
Once elements have been cleaned, I find it best the handle them only with
clean cotton gloves (the cotton gloves used to handle film in a darkroom
works great).  This prevents getting any contamination on the element.  It's
also best to use a suction cup to re-insert elements to avoid getting them
stuck in the mount.
                                        -mark