Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:18:36 -0800
> One thing to keep in mind here is that if you are not shooting with a good
> quality tripod with a fitted hood and no filter, the difference in lens
> quality amongst the various Zuiko primes is pretty much meaningless. There
> may be times when you can get better hand held results with the faster lens
> because you can use a higher shutter speed, but in most cases it is only 1
> stop at best.....

Very true. Most of my shooting is hand held and stopped down. Most
lenses aren't at their best wide open anyway. And I was attracted to the
OM because it came in such small package and smaller and lighter meant
it got carried along. The main advantage of the faster lens for me is
the brighter viewfinder but I'm willing to trade that for size and
compactness. If I'm going to carry more then it'll be a larger format
rig where you really see a difference. One lapse to a faster lens is a
50mm 1.4 or maybe my 85mm f2 but they hardly count as faster.

Mike