Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Examples of the slower lens being the better choice?
From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 17:07:52 -0800
One thing to keep in mind here is that if you are not shooting with a good
quality tripod with a fitted hood and no filter, the difference in lens
quality amongst the various Zuiko primes is pretty much meaningless. There
may be times when you can get better hand held results with the faster lens
because you can use a higher shutter speed, but in most cases it is only 1
stop at best. If you are shooting a large majority of the time with a
tripod then you may want to go with whichever lens (faster or slower) has
the better optics. It is certainly not one or the other across the board in
the Zuiko line. Personally I would not buy a faster lens unless you really
need the extra stop for low light shooting. I have considered a 35 f2 for
shooting photos at trade shows as I find it a good focal length for that
use and the extra speed would be nice to have. I think for most of us the
real consideration is: do you really need the extra speed? If you do a lot
of (un)available light work then the faster lenses are a godsend, otherwise
I think you are needlessly adding bulk, weight & expense. The flip side is
that most of the 'big fast' Zuiko lenses are still very compact when
compared with even slow lenses on other systems.

To answer your (Ray's) question more directly, check out the lens tests and
you can see which lenses are optically better.