Re: [OM] [OT] Price haggling

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Price haggling
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:15:03 EST
On my trip to Nepal, especially up high where the Tibetans range, it is a
game they love to play and expect you to play (although I didn't know where
to start haggling for a silver-lined, ancient MONK skull cap, so I didn't
even try....)
I had a rather nice exchange  with a striking Tibetan who was selling me his
necklace around his neck.  He offered it and I was at his mercy.
He and his friends took great joy in watching me try to understand their game.
In the end, I won (yeah right), so I had a picture taken by a Tibetan with my
OM 4 while I was surrounded by the gang that entertained with me, all of us
arm in arm.
That was worth the trip alone.
Kathmandu is the same way. If you can't get 500ff, I think you are frowned
down upon as a weak maybe.
It is very hard to haggle when the prices are already so low and the people
have so little.  It is as they do on a daily basis so like they say "when in
Kathmandu,do as they...wait....oh well : ),
John R