[OM] [OT] Price haggling

Subject: [OM] [OT] Price haggling
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:31:22
Some recent threads discussing prices and haggling bring to mind a theory of mine: in some cultures, not haggling may be regarded as foolish, even impolite. Any opinions from listfolk who are better traveled than I?

Here's my reasoning: I've spent many an hour manning a table at gun shows, antique booths, swap meets, etc. I enjoy chatting with folks as much as the selling. And while I always price items fairly, I'm more likely to lower the price for someone who's pleasant and entertaining to talk with (or, as my mom would put it, someone who's as good at BS as I am!). Certainly nothing is more deadly dull than, for example, something like car sales in which the seller must wait for customers who, when they arrive, are generally suspicious and even hostile.

I have a notion that in some cultures buying and selling is a part of the social life and, as such, when a customer walks in, plunks down the full price and walks out with the goods, the transaction is still less than fully satisfying despite the higher profit. I'm even wondering whether this exceeds foolishness and may be regarded as almost as rude as haggling unpolitely or disrespectfully.

Thoughts?