[OM] Fill flash tricks (was: OM 35 SP or XA)

Subject: [OM] Fill flash tricks (was: OM 35 SP or XA)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:19:10
Dirk, I've never been able to confirm whether any auto flash's output is, in fact, altered or controlled by adjusting the ASA setting. None of mine is so changed - this can be confirmed with a flash meter.

There are flashes with controls to adjust the output but these controls are completely independent of the ASA setting. In every flash I've examined the ASA setting dial/scale simply tells the user which f/stop to use for best results.

If anyone knows for certain of a flash on which the ASA setting can control the output please let me know which model.

The other trick you mentioned can be very useful - using the auto settings. But it's unreliable in tricky situations - backlighting, dimly lit rooms or outdoors at night. Using the auto settings for fill flash works best in fairly even lighting such as outdoors in open shade without bright backlighting, etc. Just my personal experience.