[OM] Re: Weighted averaging vs. spot metering

Subject: [OM] Re: Weighted averaging vs. spot metering
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:35:04 -0800 (PST)
One technique that I will use with my OM-2S is setting
the shutter speed ring to the "indicated" speed in
Auto mode and then flip the switch to manual mode.
Then it is an easy affair to adjust a stop or two
either way as per the spot reading.

/rant mode on/
I am repeatably irked by those who thrash the virtues
of the OM-2S as an OM-10 on drugs.  The OM-2S was the
successor to the OM-2n and as such was a logical
progression in features, capabilities and
professionalism.  The elegent simplicity of the
camera, despite the rich feature list makes the camera
ideal for "touch-typing" operation. This really is a
camera in which every control and every mode is
accessable without removing the camera from your eye.

It was unfortunate that Olympus decided to introduce
the OM-4 at the same time as the OM-2S.  The
additional features (and increased retail price) came
at the same manufacturing cost.  In other words, the
profit margin on the OM-2S was much less than on the
OM-4.  As a result, a second production run probably
never happened.

I too, am not the happiest with the averaging meter of
the OM-2S, as I would like it to be a bit
tighter--especially when using OTF flash control, and
the 3.5 fps is a limitation, but otherwise this is a
true professional tool.

Mine is getting a bit long in the tooth, but with
another CLA will be up for another 20,000 images.  The
biggest problem with ALL OM-2 cameras regardless of
model, is the ISO dial getting flakey and mine is no
exception.

As far as battery drain is concerned, I use far fewer
batteries in the OM-2S than either the OM-1 or OM-2md.
 Something about accidently leaving the meter swich
on...

Ken (git your paws away from my OM-2S) Norton

/rant mode off/