[OM] Re: Weighted averaging vs. spot metering

Subject: [OM] Re: Weighted averaging vs. spot metering
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 21:29:13
While it might be a bit unhandy switching from program to manual modes to take advantage of averaging vs. spot metering, I wouldn't think it's that much of a burden. I don't have an OM-2S but my Canon T70s have averaging and fat spot metering modes, both in a body that functions best in program mode (altho' manual override is possible).

If one doesn't quite trust either metering mode completely, just take a guesstimate from both and set the exposure manually to the desired setting. Not fast, but it works.

Having used a camera that has a native mode best suited to autoexposure, but which offers manual override, I find it to be a convenient compromise between speed of shooting in action circumstances, and deliberate composition when time allows.

I can definitely say that I'm not wild about the unweighted averaging metering of the OM-1. It's too easily fooled by extraneous bright areas such as the sky or pavement. I find it necessary to aim the camera toward the sky, ground and subject to arrive at the best exposure. Not sure yet about the OM-2N I'm considering buying, since it's not working quite right. Metering appears to function correctly and agrees with my OM-1, but autoexposure and shutter functions aren't working properly. The white dot pattern on the curtain indicates it's set up for full area metering.

With my Canon FTbn, which has a true weighted averaging meter (restricted to the microprism focusing circle and slightly beyond), it's much easier to simply aim at the subject, set the exposure and shoot. Makes me wonder why Olympus found it necessary to switch the original OM-2 from centerweighted averaging to full averaging. For most purposes I find centerweighted or fat spot metering works very well. I'll bet OM-2000 users would agree.
Lex Jenkins

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:56:01 +0000
From: "Evert Potgieter" <PotEve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

...question on the OM2sp. If I am not mistaken it seems that it hasn't got wheigted average metering on manual mode, only spot metering. But with the OM2n you do have wheighted ave metering?