Re: [OM] Dreamin' and buying

Subject: Re: [OM] Dreamin' and buying
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:39:36 +0000
At 23:37 12/29/00 , John Hudson wrote:

>I can not recall there being very much discussion about the 85/2 and am
>wondering why this is the case. Gary Reese's lens test data gives the
>85/2 good ratings and I find that 80 and 90mm focal lengths are a good
>middle ground between normal and short telephoto lenses .... plus the f2
>aperture is fast enough for low light photography.
>
>John Hudson
>Vancouver, BC

John,
I grabbed one of these a while back and it is a wonderful "short"
telephoto.  When the 135/2.8 turned out to be too long from the back of a
very short church at my cousin's wedding, I put this one on the OM-1n,
stopped it down to f/2.8 and shot quite almost a half roll of film.  Worked
out very well; one of them is posted here:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/donnaruss/dr26.html

I think you will really enjoy this lens; it's also a great one for tight,
1/3 portraits!  The heuristic definition of a standard lens is focal length
equal to film frame diagonal, which is about 43mm for full-frame 35mm.  The
heuristic of a classic portrait lens is focal length twice that of the
standard lens, or about 86mm.  I have little doubt the 85/2 was designed
with its focal length just for that reason.

-- John