Re: [OM] Dreamin' and buying

Subject: Re: [OM] Dreamin' and buying
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:05:16 -0500
Dear John,

I can resist anything but temptation - Mae West.

Tom

On 29 Dec 2000, at 15:37, sayeth John Hudson <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I called by a local photo dealer this morning to buy film and was
> charmed into trying out an OM3T with a 35/80 f2.8 zoom up front. For the
> price I could have bought a pretty good used car and had change
> leftover.
>
> But wow ............that was the first time I had handled or indeed even
> seen a 35/80 f2.8 Zuiko zoom. No kidding, it looks and feels like a
> Leitz product. Not that Zuiko lenses don't have a nice feel to them but
> this 35/80 definitely felt different from any other Zuiko lens I have
> handled. It was heavy and felt to be solidly built, was very smooth in
> turning and had the feeling of absolute precision. Through the 3T's
> viewfinder the frame was about as bright and clear as that through a M
> rangefinder and definitely brighter than anything I have for my 4T.
>
> I was also charmed into trying out an OM4 with Olympus bellows and rails
> and a 50/1.4. The magnification was a bit better than I get with my
> 50/3.5 macro! The store manager thought I might like to remove the
> 50/1.4 and try the dedicated 20mm/f2 macro lens on the bellows he also
> had in the used department. I'll try another day!
>
> The bright spot in the whole proceedings was that I forgot to buy film
> but did manage to find myself fifteen minutes ahead of a gentlemen who
> had travelled four or five hours to buy the 85mm / f2 MC Zuiko with
> original metal hood that was sitting in the dealer's used department. I
> knew that there had been a purpose in visiting the photo dealer this
> morning 'cause I stepped away with a virtually pristine 85/2 for a very
> good price.
>
> I can not recall there being very much discussion about the 85/2 and am
> wondering why this is the case. Gary Reese's lens test data gives the
> 85/2 good ratings and I find that 80 and 90mm focal lengths are a good
> middle ground between normal and short telephoto lenses .... plus the f2
> aperture is fast enough for low light photography.
>
> John Hudson
> Vancouver, BC

 Tom Trottier <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx> ICQ: 57647974
        Abacurial Information Technology Consulting
400 Slater St. Suite 415, Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
    __o  +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412 (877)247-8796
 _ \ <    Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
(+)/'(+)   http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera
   Mensa Ottawa: http://www.egroups.com/MensaOttawa