Re: [OM] OT re:pics of eclipse

Subject: Re: [OM] OT re:pics of eclipse
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:02:06 -0500
A very common form of blindness in elderly people results from the scar tissue formed at the fovea (the small area of critical focus at the back of the eye). A recent preliminary study found that several servings of spinach a week can slow down the rate of blindness and may even reverse the blindness some. Susan can tell us best about this kind of blindness I would think. Isn't it caused by ultraviolet light? Would a UV filter on our Zuiko lenses (OM content) help prevent this?

Gregg

chuck wrote:
  Well, the sun can do the
same thing to your camera's shutter curtain (if the mirror is up) or
your retina should you decide to stick your eye in the light path.
Setting your retina on fire is not likely but even momentary exposure to
the focused image of the sun can "burn" a blind spot into your retina.
Then you have a permanent little black spot in your field of vision.