Re: [OM] RE: Digital trends...

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Digital trends...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 12:01:58 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> No real disagreement there. People like the ones on this list and maybe
> computer fans like buying all that additional hardware like dedicated
> printers and the like. I don't see the people on the modest incomes I
> mentioned doing it. Maybe.

As you have mentioned in previous email, those people can wait half a year
to finish a roll to see the picture they have taken half year before, I'm
sure they won't need a digital camera.

Also, there was an interesting story, four years ago, while VCD were
extremely popular in Hong Kong. Our company have some visitor from Germany,
they said they didn't know what is VCD (they are all electronics engineers).

There are some countries or towns that is very slow in accepting new
products, but if you are a photo enthusiast and hate to accept digital
camera you shouldn't touch any top consumer models like S1, D30 and E-10.
Actually I was one that never want to see the exist of digital camera. I
love my OMs, but it just a bit hard to accept the fact that when everyone
are shooting with digital camera that can have:

(justs name a few)

- variable film ISO setting for each shot and you can only have one per
roll.
- immediately enjoy the result after shooting and you need to wait for two
days to see the slides.
- they use ISO1600 and even 6400 to shoot handheld night shoots and you are
carrying a heavy tripod, while everyone have finished the shots and you are
still setting up the tripod.

I was unlucky to have chance to take a hundred something shots with the Fuji
S1 and have seen some ISO1600 night shots, they were simply better than
ISO800 film in grain fineness. Again, don't touch any high end DCs if you
don't "want" or "need" them.

C.H.Ling

<snip>