Re: [OM] Digital trends

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital trends
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 20:48:10 EST
Donald,

Very well stated and I agree for the most part, but digital IS getting equal
to film for the P&S crowd. I can only speak for myself, but I do "serious"
photography, "fun" photography for my own enjoyment, and "snapshots"- lots of
them, with two kids active in sports, etc. I have very recently purchased
*only* a 1.3 megapixel Olympus digital and an Olympus P-330 printer (4X6 size
prints only) and I already had a good photo and "general" printer. At 4X6
size even with my relatively simple digital, the quality just about equals a
P&S film camera, which is fine for me for snapshooting stuff that I know I'll
only go to 4X6 in prints. I like seeing the image right away (yes, tho it's a
small image) and deciding whether I got what I was after or have to take
another. Printing is very fast thru the Oly printer and I don't have to even
turn my computer on. Minor adjustments and cropping is possible, but for more
adjustments I use Photoshop or the Camedia program bundled with Oly cameras.
So far, all of this suits my present needs, and the kids like the almost
instant prints. So, convenience-wise, to me digital has the edge, even with
the fast processing I have available to me, and quality-wise its certainly
suitable and just about equal, for snapshots. Again, this is just me, YMMV.

Regards,
George S.

Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

                    << snip >>

<< In short I don't think digital at the consumer level will be any more
 convenient or of any greater observable quality than film. An E-10 may be a
 fine instrument, well made, even 'desirable', but offers ME nothing over my
 iS3000. And useful as my iS3000 is, it offers me little over my OMs, and
 even then only in specific situations.  >>