[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2050

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2050
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 16:02:42 -0600
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 17:03:53 -0000
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Digital trends (LONG and RAMBLING)

D. MacDonald wrote:

>... but I
>think the general mass of the point-and-shoot public is being conned into
>going digital.

>Now 'wanting' digital and 'needing' it are completely different concepts,
>and differ from person to person.

>... In other words, professional users may 'need' digital.

Good posting!  I use a Kodak-Canon DCS 560 as part of my professional work,
and may be using a Canon D30 soon, but for my personal photography I have
absolutely NO interest in digital.  I'm still captivated by the magic of
film that got me into photography in 1966.  I love the smell of a bulk roll
of Tri-X when I first open the black bag (and can tell the different B&W
films by their odors).

I like the fact that you don't need any electronic gizmos to view
film-based images, just light.  Film will serve history better too.  When
I'm gone, people might find interest even in the "out takes" on a contact
sheet; I've found pictures I wanted to print years after I originally shot
them.

Alan Magayne-Roshak