Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2050

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2050
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 21:21:56 -0500
This thread just reminded me of the justification to burn wood to save money. After buying the truck, chain saw, trailer and on and on, it really wasn't such a savings. But if you like the look and feel, go for it.

In the same way, digital cameras require improved computers and upgraded printers and on and on. But if that's what you want or need, go for it. It is totally different than film based photos in so many ways that we still have a hard time justifying the digital on the basis of comparisons. I imagine the day will come that film based photography will be as rare as dry plate photography, but not yet.

Gregg

Alan wrote:
------------------------------

D. MacDonald wrote:

>... but I
>think the general mass of the point-and-shoot public is being conned into
>going digital.

>Now 'wanting' digital and 'needing' it are completely different concepts,
>and differ from person to person.

>... In other words, professional users may 'need' digital.

Good posting!  I use a Kodak-Canon DCS 560 as part of my professional work,
and may be using a Canon D30 soon, but for my personal photography I have
absolutely NO interest in digital.  I'm still captivated by the magic of
film that got me into photography in 1966.  I love the smell of a bulk roll
of Tri-X when I first open the black bag (and can tell the different B&W
films by their odors).