Re: [OM] Digital trends - was Open Letter to Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital trends - was Open Letter to Olympus
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 08:05:52 +1100
>it's much more than just the result (for me anyway, and i suspect for
>also some of the listies)...but also the path taken. there's the
>aesthetics of holding something made with solid metal, chromed or nickled,
>with real leather, hearing and feeling the gears whirr and each clickstop
>snap crisply. similar analogy to the wet darkroom (b/w)...i shunned it
>till i got in there myself and saw the image "appear" slowly out of a
>blank piece of paper. ditto classic cars, classic audio gear, classic
>watches, etc etc.
>
>/Acer V

Ooooh yes - real leather - my OM2sp now has its Morgan Sparks red snakeskin
and looks really spiffy! I've taught high school photography and you're
right - nothing beats the look on a thirteen-year-old's face when the magic
happens in a wet darkroom. Next year, with a 16-17 y.o. class I'm
experimenting with using digital as a basic teaching tool to augment the
traditional process, rather than replace it. Everything has it's place.
Andrew